Webinars and Rutgers clinic can help with academic accommodations and assessments

The most recent webinar offered by the New Jersey Center for Tourette Syndrome & Associated Disorders (NJCTS) focused on academic accommodations, and another webinar tomorrow, August 22 will do the same. However, as children age and go through the educational process, accommodations may vary and different requirements arise.

After high school, accommodations can still be available and utilized in college settings. When the term “accommodations” is used, it indicates different arrangements for your child to be able to best succeed in their schoolwork. Potential accommodations for those with TS and associated disorders include:

  • Extra time for assignments and tests
  • Reduced-distraction environment testing
  • Use of a tape recorder
  • Use of a computer for in-class tests
  • Alternate format tests
  • Note-taking assistance

When it comes to standardized testing and college disability services,  the required documentation can change. For example, your child might receive extra time on tests or have their desk placed in a specific area of certain classrooms because their teachers are aware of the TS (and potential associated disorders such as OCD, ADHD, anxiety and Asperger’s Syndrome) diagnosis and your child’s needs.

These might even occur without an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) because your child does not have a learning disorder. An IEP is something that provides accommodations and potentially direct services of a special education teacher or other service providers (occupational therapy, speech, counseling, etc.). They are associated with 504 Accommodation Plans, which come from the Rehabilitation Act of 1973’s Section 504, which prohibits discrimination based on disability in programs or activities that receive federal financial assistance.

For college boards, very specific documentation will be required to verify and explain exactly why and how your child needs accommodations. Information about required College Board documentation can be found on the College Board website. This kind of documentation can come from physicians, psychologists, etc., and must be recent—written within 2 to 3 years of the accommodations request.

Full learning and ADHD evaluations can be expensive, and — for those in New Jersey, the New York City Metropolitan Area or Pennsylvania — NJCTS would like to recommend the services of the GSAPP Clinic at Rutgers University. The clinic is an alternate option for receiving assessment services and offers evaluations for learning disabilities, ADHD, school readiness/giftedness and many other concerns at a reduced cost.

If you are interested in pursuing an additional or required assessment for your child, you can contact the clinic directly at 848-445-6111 or NJCTS at 908-575-7350.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *