I’m a huge believer in therapy for a variety of reasons:
- Just talking about stuff is a release
- No matter how great your spouse, your friends and your relatives are, it’s good to get an outside opinion
- If you’re paying someone to hear you rant, they HAVE to listen. Even if it’s the same rant over and over. And over. And over. And over.
Notes on finding a great therapist:
- If you don’t click with someone, don’t feel you’re not a candidate for therapy. Keep going until you find the right one.
- Don’t stick with anyone who forces their agenda on you.
- If you aren’t growing, it’s not the right therapist
- Don’t be afraid to find someone who makes you laugh out loud.
#4? That’s big for me. I found that guy. And I tell you, I have been forever transformed because of him. I rarely see him anymore, but if I have a crap week – like last week – I always know I can reach out to him.
Just his texts alone have me in better spirits. (Name crossed out to protect the innocent. Click on it for a bigger picture.)
Some therapists might not take too kindly to being told to “go away” over text, but that’s why I’m not with those kinds of therapists.
Until tomorrow, may God grant you to accept the tics you cannot change, change the tics you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.