How was your Christmas? How are the tics? How are you dealing with them?
One dear friend of mine from my private group keeps a Victory journal. It’s a faith based writing memoir in which she shares her struggles and hopes for her son with God. By writing down verses and scriptures, she has an automatic go-to way to release some of her fears. I love that!
As for me, I am a pray-er and list maker. Here are my goals for dealing with Tourettes this year. Would love to hear yours.
Fantasy Goal: Not let tics bug me in the least!
Realistic Goal: Find the courage to accept the tics I cannot change, change the tics I can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.
Thanks to acupuncture, Stink’s vocal tics are gone. I mean GONE. Given how much crap he ate over Christmas, combined with video games and lack of sleep, I don’t believe this is just coincidence or part of the tic cycle. Acupuncture is the reason, so I’m grateful. (Stay tuned this week as I video tape the lovely Martina speaking on this subject!)
Unfortunately, my son’s head shakes/nods are at an all time high. I mean, NON stop. Martina thinks that the supplements will take affect in six weeks and to be patient until then. If they don’t go away, it’s time to reconsider how much time he spends on the computer.
I pray that he does find relief via the herbs she is prescribing, because he SOOOO loves his gaming. He is not playing all day. He plays weekends only. During vacation he plays 1-2 hours/day. This might seem like a lot, but as a kid, I watched TV 1 hour-2 hours/day. I also biked and ran and hung out with friends, just like Stink. We’ll have to see.
Realistic Plan for 2014 for Tic Treatment
- Gluten free unless a birthday party
- Computers weekends only except 10 minutes/during week to feed some virtual plant in some game. (I know, it’s dumb)
- New sport introduced for daily exercise
- Dog for him to walk daily!
- Acupuncture 3 days/week + supplements
More Hardcore Plan if tics don’t decrease by Spring
- No 10 minute virtual plant feeding during week
- Going dairy free again
- Revisit the idea of Brain Balance now that I’m working and might be able to swing the 5K
- Consider some kind of Lens Treatment for tics
- Revisit an environmental doc to guide me on pros and cons of letting a kid be a kid (video games) and supplementing with good stuff I’m already doing
- Daily exercise
- No wine during the week
- Church on Sundays with family
- Bible Study daily (just 10 minutes)
- Life Group (small groups of people thru church) to connect with once/week and remind me that my life is not based on tics but something so much greater than myself
I pray that 2014 brings you peace that transcends understanding. I pray that you (and I) remember that all kids have something. We can’t always fix the tics, but we can encourage the gifts our kids are born with. Personality trumps Tourette Syndrome. Love you all!