Transitioning from high school to college

lee-andrew-j-1014-sqPresenter: Dr. Andrew J. Lee
View the webinar’s corresponding slide presentation here
View this webinar >
Dr. Andrew Lee will help adolescents and their parents navigate the process between high school and college and help them learn how to set themselves up for a positive transition into a new era of life. This webinar will cover common pitfalls for first year college students and offer practical suggestions for dealing with these problems. In addition, Dr. Lee will discuss various support services for students and ways to access these systems. The webinar will also address disability disclosure issues.


  1. KelleyT says:

    Assuming that there are no changes needed in the accommodations a student receives as a freshman, does the student need to reapply for accommodations in subsequent years? If there are changes needed, is the application process the same as for a freshman or is it simply a modification to the existing accommodations?

    • Dr. Andrew Lee says:

      Generally speaking, accommodations are reviewed and renewed every semester, if not sooner, if any change occur. Any changes that occur with the student’s disability are considered, as are the courses that the student is taking. As discussed in the webinar, accommodations are an interactive process between the student, the Disability Office and the student’s professors. Thus the need to review accommodations every semester, as courses and professors change every semester.

  2. KelleyT says:

    In your experience, does it happen that disability services would need to talk directly to the student’s doctor about their situation?

    • Dr. Andrew Lee says:

      Generally speaking, it is not necessary to speak directly with a student’s doctor, provided that the doctor completes the required paperwork. It only becomes necessary to speak with the student’s doctor if the paperwork is unclear, if there are questions regarding what was listed on the form, or if the doctor is suggesting an accommodation that is not consistent with the disability or condition. In those cases, additional clarification may be required and could necessitate a direct phone call.

  3. KelleyT says:

    What types of documentation will Disability Services require from the student?

    • Dr. Andrew Lee says:

      In terms of documentation, the student generally completes an intake form and has a treating professional (e.g. physician, mental health professional) complete a medical or psychological verification form. If a student is requesting accommodations based on a learning/educational disability, a copy of the most recent educational and psychological testing is requested. If this is not current, generally speaking, within the last three years, then updated testing may be requested to support the accommodation request. This testing would be done at the expense of the student/family, not the University. However, most universities try not to place an undue financial or time burden on students and families, if at all possible.

  4. KelleyT says:

    Are there fees for any of the services you outlined?

    • Dr. Andrew Lee says:

      Generally speaking, there are no fees to register or utilize the Disability Services office or receive accommodations. However, there are institutions that offer more intensive and extensive services (e.g. a personal mentor, greater oversight in the form of a mandated study time, etc). These intensive services may require an additional fee to access these services. Check with your respective institutions to see what they offer and if there are any additional costs associated with these services.

  5. KelleyT says:

    Out of necessity I have been actively involved in my child’s care for years, finally getting them to applying for college, why do you think that it’s so important to move out of the driver’s seat?

  6. Dr. Andrew Lee says:

    While I appreciate your position and commend your tireless and, most likely, exhausting, support you have provided your child, I believe that it is important to allow some additional space for your child, as I think it models more of what adult life will look like in the future. At every developmental stage, the individual is generally required to take on more responsibility for their life, which allows them to learn how to manage their life more effectively and to learn more about themselves. If you are at the place where you feel confident that they can attend college, then by taking that step back, you are also expressing your confidence in their ability to achieve this goal and beyond. You are championing their independence, which I think can foster greater confidence in them, as well. Additionally, it would be important to consider the question, if not now, when? When do you take that step back and allow them to live a more independent life? By doing this in a step-wise fashion, providing less direct support over time, it appears less jarring and sudden than if you withdraw support at one time (e.g. their first job), where it would be very difficult to provide the same level of support to them.