The NJCTS Tim Howard Leadership Academy is a unique and invaluable learning experience for teens with Tourette Syndrome. Over the course of these rigorous four days, participants will stay overnight at Rutgers University, attend engaging workshops that provide a deeper understanding of their diagnoses, participate in small group discussions and be encouraged to share personal triumphs and challenges, and will be challenged through numerous educational activities to develop their sense of self-leadership, self-empowerment, and resilience. Eligible applicants:
- Have a diagnosis of Tourette Syndrome from a qualified medical practitioner
- Are entering their Sophomore year of high school through having just completed their Senior year of high school by the summer of 2016
- Have an active interest in, and commitment to, their vision of themselves as leaders
- Are comfortable being away from home for four consecutive days and nights
- Can comfortably and meaningfully participate in an intensive, demanding learning experience with others who share their diagnoses, which includes comfort interacting with others and sharing information about themselves, comfort discussing their diagnosis, and comfort being around others who tic and have anxiety disorders.
- Ability to sit in a workshop setting for up to an hour at a time
- Requires feedback and a questionnaire from a medical practitioner who has seen the applicant within the past 12 months.
- Requires feedback from an educator who has worked with the applicant in a classroom setting in the past 12 months.
Because consideration for admittance is dependent on all aspects of the application being completed, you are advised to begin the application process as soon as possible to ensure a completed application is submitted by the deadline.
APPLICATIONS ARE DUE BY MARCH 1, 2016.
Participants form lasting connections, gain a better understanding of themselves, and walk away with a toolkit that prepares them for a successful future! Interested applicants should request an application by contacting Academy Director, Melissa Fowler, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants who are being considered for admittance will be contacted for an interview by March 20th, 2016.
Thank you for your interest, and best of luck!