Taking part in a Tourette Syndrome research study

OK, I am now ready to start blogging again! I took a little break from blogging this past week because my parents were out of town, my dog was sick and I was on spring break, so there was really not much going on to blog about.

But I want to talk about my experience when I went to interview the Tourette Syndrome experts for my documentary. A Doctoral Fellow who both has Tourette and researches it mentioned to me that she was going to be starting a research study for people with Tourette ages 18 and older.

She asked me if I was interested and if I would be willing to be a part of the research study when it was all ready, and of course I said yes! So last week she got back to me and told me that the study was all ready to go, and I let her know that I was still interested. So I am all signed up to be part of the study!

There are two parts of the study, the behavioral testing and the MRI scan. I am set up to do the behavioral testing part on April 4 and the MRI scan on April 7. During the behavioral testing part, there will be pencil and paper tests, verbal response tests and questionnaires. I am a bit worried for the MRI scan because I am not sure how long I will be able to stay still. I’m sure they will be understanding, though, considering this is a Tourette study!

Anyway, besides a bit of apprehension about the MRI scan, I am excited to spend more time with the Doctoral Fellow who has TS (because she is just the kind of person who is really awesome and intelligent and who you want to get to know better!), and I am also excited to get pictures of my brain!

I’ve always wanted to see my brain. And, of course, I am excited to be helping neurologists and researchers to learn more about Tourette. The more that is known about TS, the more tolerance and acceptance there will be for those with TS.

So I will definitively blog about how both parts of the study go in the next week or two! In the meantime, I have one more week of spring break, and I am going to take advantage of the extra sleeping and relaxing time!

Now things are starting to get back to normal — except for my dog, who is still sick. We originally thought she had a urinary tract infection but now we know it’s more than that. She is acting just fine, but there is tissue and blood in her urine and the vet doesn’t know what is wrong just yet.

He is going to send out the sample for testing and give her an ultrasound, and hopefully we will know more then. I really hope she is OK because I love her so much, and all of my family does, too. My grandma’s dog has cancer and only has about 2 to 8 months to live, which is hard enough to deal with. It would be just awful for something serious to be wrong with my dog, too.

My poodle is a part of my family and I am so attached to her. We will get her ultrasound done on Monday and will get the test results back then too, so I hope to know what is going on by then.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *