Here’s my summary of what it’s been like starting college, in 15 sentences:
- My roommate and I are very different people. She’s not going to be my best friend, but we get along well enough, and she is being respectful and accepting of my tics and OCD.
- I did decided to tell my roommate about my Tourette Syndrome over Facebook about a day before she arrived, and I made the right decision because when move-in day came around, everything was so crazy that I wouldn’t have really had the time to tell her in a nonrushed way, anyway.
- I’ve made lots of friends! Of course, we’ll need time to get close, but we’re getting there.
- My classes are great, and I’m really liking them, and so far I haven’t been ticcing too much in class (well, I’ve been doing a lot of motor tics, but not my loud vocal tics so far).
- For the most part, my tics have been moderate. I’ve been having a lot of motor tics, but not so many vocal tics.
- The only vocal tics I’ve been having are a loud barking cough sound, a softer grunting/coughing sound, sniffling, throat clearing, a little bit of squeaking and whistling.
- I’ve started a clapping tic lately, and I’ll just do one or two claps.
- So far, I’ve really only directly told 6 people about my tics, and they have all been accepting and pretty cool about it.
- On Thursday, I have my first OCD therapy appointment with my new therapist since I’ve started college.
- My new puppy is adorable and I love her so much already, and she’s visited me at college twice so far.
- My freshman floor is pretty close, and a lot of the friends I’ve made are on my floor.
- My floor does all these fun activities together, such as going to dinner, watching movies, doing yoga, playing cards, playing sardines, watching Dr. Who (which one of my friends here has gotten me to start watching), and much more.
- The food here is great, and I have so many choices for every meal.
- My OCD is pretty darn good right now, and I can do laundry and do a lot of things that I wasn’t able to do before. I’m really not having a lot of trouble with my OCD right now, which is really really fantastic.
- I had my first quiz in linguistics. I hope it went well!
SHARE THIS POST