The 5th annual advocacy walk is Nov. 15th
SOMERVILLE, NJ– Thrifty runners, walkers and team captains are encouraged to take advantage of the final days of the early bird registration discount for the 5th annual NJ Walks for TS at Mendham event. Until October 13th, registration is reduced to $22.50. After the 13th the price will be $25 for both online and on-site registration.
“This event, which started out by kids for kids, has grown to a powerful movement,” said NJCTS Executive Director Faith W. Rice. “The more people we having stepping up and stepping out for kids living with Tourette Syndrome- the more likely we are to break the stigma attached to this very misunderstood disorder.”
Each year the event draws hundreds of walkers and runners- families and pets- to Mendham Borough Park in Mendham, NJ. Early registration helps the New Jersey Center for Tourette Syndrome plan for the day and ensures a commemorative T-shirt for each participant.
Funds raised by the walk will benefit NJCTS’s Education Outreach Program which includes trainings for teachers and nurses at schools in every corner of the state, as well as peer trainings and anti-bullying sessions on behalf of New Jersey kids with Tourette Syndrome (TS)- a neurological disorder characterized by involuntary sounds or movements known as tics. A person with TS is extremely likely to struggle with accompanying mental health or learning disorders as well. It is estimated that as many as 1 in 100 people show symptoms of TS- that’s over 20,000 children in New Jersey.
“There has never been a better time to gather and celebrate the joy and accomplishments of those in the TS community,” said Rice, “Even if you’ve never met someone with TS we invite you to become part of a day of empowerment and acceptance.”
NJCTS is asking for help in the following ways:
- Individual walkers/runners can click here to register now. Early registration helps organizers and guarantees a commemorative T-shirt. (On-site registrants will receive shirts as supplies last) Discounted registration ends Oct. 13th
- Teams are a vital part of this event and can register by clicking here. Team walking/fundraising is a great way to boost the effectiveness of each participant. There’s no limit to the fun of gathering teammates, building a group identity, finding a mascot, etc.
- For those unable to attend the event, sponsoring an individual or team is a meaningful way to show your support for those living with TS.
- Corporate/business sponsors are needed to help present this event.
- Spreading the word has never been easier- click here to share with friends and family
For more information about NJ Walks for TS visit www.njcts.org or call 908-575-7350.