A Presentation by Susan Wightman-Hentz, RN, MSN, CPNP
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
January 16 at 7:30 PM EST
Download this webinar by clicking here
In our weminar, we learned about some of the problems we professionals encounter when diagnosing and providing treatments for the baffling disorder called Tourette Syndrome — especially when accompanying disorders are present. What are some of the specific experiences some of you may have had, or what specific questions are some of you struggling with?
Here are some questions posed during the webinar:
- What are symptoms of attention deficit disorder with kids that have chronic tic disorder?
- Any suggestions for dealing with Coprolalia?
- Since Autism has so many of the same co-morbids, is there a link between TS and autism?
- Awesome presentation. Thank you. I have read opposing views on tic triggers. Some say things trigger tics, others say tics are basically tics and are not caused or worsened by environmental sources. Are things like food additives, caffeine and food dyes triggers? How about environmental triggers? If my child has simple vocal or motor tics and they are replaced by complex vocal or motor tics, does that mean his Tourettes is worsening?
- How do you address a child’s realization that they have these extreme feelings of anger? My 11 year old just asked to talk to me a few nights ago. She said “sometimes I just get so angry and I can’t stop it and I don’t know why.” She has had these episodes of rage before, but was somewhat unaware. Now, she is very much self-aware and afraid of what is happening. Do the psychological symptoms also tend to fade after 15 years also?
- There was a book you referenced on OCD by “Tamar..” can you repeat the name?
- What are your recommendations for the best prognosis regarding independence in adulthood (i.e. attending college, having a career)? Also, behavioral interventions for aggression, impulsivity. What are appropriate logical consequences if the child also has ODD behaviors? P.S. Both questions above are re: a 16 yr. old who is emotionally younger.
- Can some of the drugs used for treatment of OCD make the tics worse?
- Our child is doing well in the special ed program. Should we challenger her and move her “up” to the resource classes? Is it better to challenge or to keep her in special ed?
- What medications are appropriate for my son with ADHD, OCD and TS?
- I would have like contact info regarding the Lego therapy and Dan LeGof (?)
- You mentioned Panic and anxiety in children with TS; what type of therapies can be effective for older children and who do parents turn to teach/administer these therapies?
- My 16 year old daughter is on Zoloft for OCD (about 5 years), and Risperdal for Tourette’s (less then 1 year). Do these medications work well together?